Foreign travel broadens your horizons and being in a strange environment does put the traveller out of their comfort zone, with a different language and culture. If you are new to foreign travel, here are a few common mistakes to watch out for.
- Changing too much money at the airport – It is perfectly natural to worry about not having any local cash when you arrive at your destination and the worst place to change money is at the destination airport. If you need enough for a taxi ride to the city, change $30, which should get you into the city, where you will find exchange booths everywhere. You could exchange money before your departure date and Google will help you find the best rates.
- No travel insurance – This would include health cover for the entire group; we should take every precaution and for the little it costs; travel insurance is a no-brainer. Search online for an insurer when you book your holiday at Anantara Veli Maldives Resort, the premium venue in the Maldives, then you won’t have to worry. Emergency hospital treatment can be horrendously expensive and it simply isn’t worth taking the risk.
- Overpacking – We all like to be prepared when travelling, yet you can go too far and end up with lots of stuff you won’t use. To make matters worse, you have to bring it all back, which is a little crazy. If, for example, you are staying at a luxury water villa in the Maldives, you won’t need much in the way of clothing; one good hack is to roll your clothing to save luggage space.
- Sunburn – If you come from a cold climate and you are fair-skinned, you need to be very careful when it comes to being exposed to strong sunlight, especially if you are going to a beach environment. Take some high-grade sunscreen and apply it prior to going out and you should be fine. Sunburn could ruin your holiday, so do take precautions and wear polarised sunglasses with a 400 UV rating. Click here for how to plan the perfect holiday.
- Overstaying your visa – It can be very easy to decide to stay and extra few weeks when you visit a foreign country and consequently their visa expires. In some countries, you simply pay immigration when you fly home, while other nations take a more serious view and you might get put on a blacklist for a year or two. It is easy enough to apply for visas online and we recommend that you obtain your visa prior to booking your airline ticket. Every country has its own immigration rules, which we have to adhere to.
If you are new to foreign travel, make sure that you do a little research on the destination country, which will enrich your experience. Plan and prepare accordingly and you will enjoy a trouble-free holiday experience that enriches your life.